The Earth Advantage Institute will hold a S.T.A.R (Sustainability Training for Accredited Real Estate Professional) course March 11-15 in Birmingham (see below for location details). This one-time certification course, with no annual renewal fees, is designed to provide a comprehensive overview of different green building techniques, third-party certification programs, techniques for communicating features of a green home, and effectively marketing and selling green homes.
S.T.A.R. gives real estate professionals the knowledge and skills to communicate with clients about the value and benefits of a new or remodeled green home. Participants will be able to identify which home features and building products provide greater energy, water, and resource efficiency and create a healthier living environment for their clients. The course provides an overview of different green home certification programs and offers participants a hands-on exploration of green building techniques and products through green home site visits. Participants will learn about the Energy Performance Score (EPS) and how it can be used to support energy efficiency programs in their area. This certification course will provide real estate professionals with an understanding of the green home consumer market segments and prepare them to market and sell green homes and upgrades.
- Distinguish yourself in the marketplace with green home knowledge and marketing skills.
- Describe basic green home features and trends.
- Communicate effectively about green building concepts.
- Articulate the value of the Energy Performance Score and recommended energy upgrades for homeowners.
- Identify the differences among leading third-party green home certification programs.
- Tailor your marketing message to clients who have varying green values.
- S.T.A.R. Manual and Resource Guide
- Two site visits to green homes
- Earth Advantage Broker professional designation and use of logo
- Personalized Earth Advantage Broker page on the Earth Advantage Institute Web site
- Discounts on other Earth Advantage Institute courses and events
- Network of over 1000 Earth Advantage Brokers
There are no prerequisites for enrolling in S.T.A.R. However, participants seeking continuing education units or the Earth Advantage® Broker designation should be licensed real estate brokers or salespersons in their state. Certification requires full attendance and the successful completion of the online, open-book examination with a minimum passing grade of 80%. Students are allowed to retake the exam once to receive a passing grade.
National Association of REALTORS®: Earth Advantage Brokers who would like to earn a NAR Green Designation may use their Alternative Program Credit to fulfill NAR’s ‘Green 100’ core course requirement. The NAR Green Designation can be earned by providing proof of completing the S.T.A.R. course and completing NAR’s ‘Green 200’ and ‘Green 300’ core courses. More information about the NAR Green Designation can be found here.
Alabama: This training is available to residential real estate brokers and agents who sell homes anywhere in the greater Huntsville and Birmingham areas.
When: March 11-15
Where: March 11-12 at the Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders, located at 5000 Grantswood Road.March 13-15 at Alabama Power, 600 18th Street North, Birmingham.
Cost: The course registration fee is usually $365, but real estate professionals working in Shelby, Jefferson, Madison, Lawrence, Morgan and Limestone counties are eligible to take this course for FREE. This is through the generous support of Birmingham WISE and Nexus Energy.Registration: To register for the S.T.A.R. course, contact Carina Gaz at email@example.com or 503-968-7160 ext.20.
For more information about this course and Earth Advantage Institute, visit, http://www.earthadvantage.org/